Some Thoughts on Washington

June 13, 2011


Photo by Wendy Doromal 2011
Wow! The Marianas Variety headlines read Doromal to meet White House officials! That would be very exciting! However, it is not true.  I hand-carried copies of a letter that United Workers Movement President Rabby Syed wrote to President Barack Obama to 26 members of Congress and other officials. The letter was packaged with my letter regarding status and Rob Misulich's law journal regarding the flaws in the CNRA and argument for U.S. status with a pathway to citizenship. The same package was delivered to President Obama (not in person).

I would summarize the meetings as extremely productive with help coming from some surprising and unlikely sources. There is no doubt that the people that I spoke with understand the difference between U.S. undocumented aliens and the legal, long-term de facto citizens of the CNMI.

In the next week I will be finishing my report for the upcoming hearing, following-up on new contacts and sending letters and the Misulich journal to other members of Congress.

Jefferson Memorial  W. L. Doromal ©2011
"We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.” –Thomas Jefferson
Jefferson Memorial W. L. Doromal ©2011
“Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual.”
Thomas Jefferson
George Washington bronze, Mount Vernon
"While we are contending for our own liberty, we should be very cautious not to violate the rights of conscience in others, ever considering that God alone is the judge of the hearts of men, and to him only in this case they are answerable." –George Washington

Lincoln Memorial W. L. Doromal ©2011
"As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy."
–Abraham Lincoln

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great work, Wendy, although it seems that you are, and have been, spending a lot of your own money on your work. I suggest you set up a tax-exempt nonprofit organization so that people can donate money to support your work. (I'd probably donate, and I'm one of your constant gadfly critics in these comments!)

Anonymous said...

The situation that exists in the CNMI regarding the status of lawfully admitted nonresident workers is quite unique.

It provides both sides of the aisle an opportunity to show that they can sit down and do something positive regarding the status of aliens residing in the US. It should be a nonpartisan issue , but one that would demonstrate the ability to take the first step. Also, the results would not have any adverse consequences due to the fact that so few people are involved.

It should be a "no brainer", but Congress does operate in mysterious ways!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mom Wendy! God bless!

Wendy Doromal said...

Anonymous 8:37

Thank you! Since 1995 when I first traveled to Washington, DC on behalf of the disenfranchised guest workers, I can say that THIS trip has been the most successful by far. In fact, so much so that I am not revealing the results to anyone except my husband. If I have learned anything, it has been that if we announce a success, we can expect those with money and power to work to destroy it, so this time I am going to just stay silent and move to the next step.

I have thought about registering as a nonprofit. Investigating the pros and cons is on my summer "to do" list right under win the lottery and find a new job. I am fairly certain that the cost to register is more than a Florida school teacher (that has taken a huge pay cut thanks to our horrible governor) can afford right now.

I appreciate differing opinions (unless they are way out there against the de facto citizen-nonresident workers). Some of my best ideas on how to proceed come from my critics! Thanks again for the suggestion and support.

Anonymous said...

And thank you for providing a forum including those with different viewpoints. Yesterday I added a comment to a thread from last year.

One thing that Governor Fitial well understands is that not everyone who disagrees with you or one of your ideas is an “enemy”. Unfortunately, not all of his supporters get that concept (nor some of the progressive CNMI activists).

There is still way too much ad hominem argumentation in the CNMI.

Good call on not spilling the beans. :-)