July 26, 2011
Associate Judge David Wiseman of the CNMI Superior Court slammed both the DPS and AGO for "failing to coordinate and cooperate in prosecuting cases." The Saipan Tribune quotes the judge:
“It is a complete waste of government resources and expense to have suspect criminals arrested and placed in a judicial prosecutorial process, only to have it all fall apart as a result of an absence of rigid standards of coordination and cooperation to be adhered to with respect to the investigations of DPS and the Criminal Division of the Attorney General's Office,” Wiseman said.Wiseman was referring to the government's dismissal of the case involving Fu Zu Lin who was arrested in October 2010 for trafficking ice. Lin was peddling the drug at the Tinian Dynasty where he was employed. He was nabbed in a sting set up the CNMI Drug Task Force and the DPS Criminal Investigation Bureau, the very agency that blew the case.
According to the Tribune the detective handling the case left the island and the agencies could not obtain his files and report on the case. Detective Sean White was handling the case and the prosecutor was AAG Benjamin Peterson. Isn't it customary that when employees leave their job they hand over the files and cases that they were working on and brief the person who is taking over the case/s?
Wiseman noted that this was not the only case that was dismissed for similar reasons and warned them to get their acts together.
In March 2011 the U.S. District Court of the NMI extended time for the Office of the Attorney General to respond in a police brutality case against Jesse Reyes Babauta.
Earlier in October 2010 DPS officers botched a drug bust in Saipan where police officer Jesse Dubrall brutally beat an innocent Chinese man who was incorrectly identified as the drug dealer. That officer left the DPS days later and was reportedly working at the Office of the Public Auditor. No charges were filed by CNMI or federal law enforcement officials. Rumor has it that the Chinese barber and his wife reportedly left the island.
How many assault, rape and theft cases against foreign employees in the CNMI were never prosecuted? I would guess thousands. What criminal employer that stole wages from an employee or employees was ever prosecuted?
Even church leaders are "disappointed" with DPS as was reported today in the Marianas Variety. Churches have been burglarized over the years and DPS has failed to nab the offenders or recover stolen items.
- July 2011 - Saipan Police Officer 1 Gordon Odoshi Seman arrested for assault and battery and disturbing the peace for beating his wife
- July 2011 - former Police Sergeant Hillary John Tagabuel arrested for assault and battery, disturbing the peace and criminal mischief in beating his girl friend
- September 2010 Rota Customs Officer Albert Taitano and former Police Officer Adrian Mendiola were arrested for poaching on a breeding colony of fruit bats, an endangered species.
- July 2010 - Saipan Patrol Officer Florencio Richards arrested for the trafficking of methamphetamine (ice)
- June 2010 - Saipan Corrections Officer Tyron Farley Reyes Fitial arrested for sexually assaulting a minor detainee
- May 2010 - Tinian Police Officer 1 Gilbert Macaranas arrested for trafficking methamphetamine (ice)
- April 2010 - Saipan Office of Public Auditor's chief investigator Juan M. Santos arrested for manufacture, sale or possession of firearms and dangerous devices; failure to show an identification card prerequisite to purchase, possession and use; and possession
- March 2010 - Police Officer 1 Kelani Vincent Pangelinan of the Patrol Section assault with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery, criminal mischief, disturbing the peace, illegal possession of firearms, kidnapping, and sexual assault in the first degree.
- March 2010 - Saipan Firefighter Dewain Borja arrested for assault with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery (reinstated)
- January 2010 - Tinian Police Officer Jason N. Ayuyu two counts of sex abuse of a minor in the first degree
- December 2009 - Unnamed Saipan police officer pointed a gun at a farmer
- November 2009 - Saipan Detective Christopher Leon Guerrero arrested for extortion
- November 2009 - Saipan Sgt. Joseph Agulto arrested for beating up his girlfriend and charged with assault and battery, and disturbing the peace
- October 2009 - Saipan Corrections Officer Jesse R. Babauta arrested for two counts of assault and battery, one count of assault, one count of interfering with a domestic violence report, and one count of criminal coercion (previously arrested and reinstated)
- October 2009 - former Rota Police Officer Victor Val B. Hocog, Jr. arrested for assault and battery and disturbing the peace for beating up his former girlfriend in Senator Paul Manglona's office.
- August 2009 - Saipan Florencio Q. Richards accomplice in a burglary and theft case (reinstated and rearrested)
- August 2009 -Saipan Corrections Sergeant Arnold Kaipat Seman arrested for beating up an inmate with charges of misconduct in public office, and assault and battery (reinstated and promoted)
- August 2009 - Saipan Corrections Officer II Manuel Quitano arrested for beating up an inmate with charges of misconduct in public office, assault and battery and obstruction of justice
- August 2009 - Saipan Firefighter Combiniano Taisakan arrested for theft and possession or removal of government property
- July 2009 - Saipan Customs officer Ramona M. Magofna, unlawful carrying of a firearm, carrying a firearm under the influence of alcohol, and disturbing the peace
- June 2009 - DPS Bureau of Motor Vehicles driver license examiner, Dereck Robert Duenas arrested for conspiracy in illegally issuing CNMI drivers licenses in exchange for fees.
- March 2009 - Saipan Police Officer John Kaipat Wabol, Jr. beating his common-law wife and threatening to shoot her with his service firearm, assault and battery, and disturbing the peace. (reinstated)
- March 2009 Peter R. Reyes, Jr., Fitial's bodyguard, a DPS employee, was arrested for dealing ice
- November 2008 - Saipan Police Officer Nick Leon Guerrero arrested for allegedly firing his personal gun and assaulting his brother (reinstated)
- July 2008- Saipan Sgt. Hillary Tagabuel - conspiracy to commit theft by deception in insurance fraud
- November 2007 - Rota Police Sgt. Steve M. Mendiola arrested for pointing a gun at his common-law wife and threatening to kill and charged with attempted murder, assault with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery, and disturbing the peace.
- July 2007 - Saipan Police Officer 2 Misael L. Romolor was charged with one count of sexual abuse of a minor in the 4th degree.
- June 2007 - Saipan Corrections Officer Jesse R. Babauta arrested for assault with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery, and disturbing the peace (reinstated and rearrested)
- March 2007 - Tinian Police Officer Vicente N. Cruz two counts of assault and battery, assault with a dangerous weapon, criminal mischief, and disturbing the peace and violating an order for protection for domestic violence against his wife
- January 2007 - Saipan unnamed Police Sergeant strangled and beat his wife and was charged with assault and battery, assault, and disturbing the peace
- November 2006 - Probation Officer Robin Norita Sablan arrested for theft and foregery stole money from numerous probationers by collecting money from them and issuing fake receipts.
- June 2006 - Customs Officer John Reyes Lizama assault and battery, criminal trespass, and disturbing the peace.
- May 2006 - Saipan Corrections Officer John Lairopi William assualting a minor inmate and charged with assault and battery, and misconduct in public office
- March 2006 - Tinian Police Sergeant Pedro B. Cepeda selling methamphetamine or “ice” Previously arrested for assaulting another police officer and a woman in October 2005 and in February 2004 - for one count of sexual assault in the second degree, two counts of assault and battery, one count of disturbing the peace, one count of illegal carrying of a firearm, two counts of criminal mischief, one count of misuse of government vehicle, one count of resisting arrest, one count of obstructing justice, one count of reckless driving, and one count of driving while under the influence of alcohol.
- February 2006 - Saipan Police Shooting Range Master Ambrosio T. Ogumoro arrested on charges of assault and battery, illegal possession of a firearm, and illegal possession of ammunitions. He was not chraged for threatening to blowup the police station and for threatening to kill Governor Fitial (record expunged in 2008 and he was reinstated)
- February 2006 - Saipan Police Captain Aniceto T. Ogumoro arrested on charges of two counts of unlawful possession of a firearm, one count of possession of a weapon without proper registration, and one count of unlawful possession of ammunition. The case was dismissed because of improper search warrants, evidence was suppressed. (reinstated)
- October 2005 - Saipan Police Officer Kui Rogopes on charges of misconduct in public office and accessory-after-the-fact in connection with the criminal case against Daniel Kintaro Santos
- January 2005 - Saipan Police Detective Eric John Tudela Mafnas stealing seized drugs and selling them, charged with legal use of public supplies, services, time, and personnel; theft; and theft by deception
- January 2005 - Saipan Police Detective Charley K. Patris stealing seized drugs and selling them, charged with legal use of public supplies, services, time, and personnel; theft; and theft by deception
- January 2005 - Saipan Police Officer Edward Maritita illegal use of public supplies, services, time, and personnel; theft; and theft by deception
- December 2004 - Saipan Police Detective Juan R. Limes arrested for charges of disturbing the peace and assault and battery in two separate incidents
- February 2004 - Tinian Police Officer Peter Borja Cepeda arrested for sexual assault, assault and battery, resisting arrest, reckless driving, DUI, criminal mischief and obstructing justice...
- February 2003 - DOC officers Stanley Kintaro Patris, Anthony Leon Guerrero Cruz, Nick Masga Reyes and Felix Jonathan Maratita Camacho were arrested for assaulting inmates.
- August 2002 - former police Officer Riang Yosino charged with disturbing the peace of two female cousins at a theater and assault and battery of a police officer. He was previously charged with hit and run with a police car involving 4 damaged vehicles and two injuries while he was DUI.
- March 2001 - Former Police Investigation Chief Delbert R, Sablan was arrested for one count of theft concerning federal money.
- February 2001- Former Police Officer Emmanuel Limes Norita was arrested for disturbing the peace, assault and battery and assault
The DPS remains ineffective. Last month the commissioner announced that DPS personnel will be subjected to random drug testing because there are officials who abuse drugs. This week DPS sexual offender registry coordinator Officer Jason Tarkong stated that the CNMI Legislature's failure to pass a new sexual offender law will mean the loss of $370,000 in federal funds.
The Office of the Attorney General is no better. Over the two years attorneys have left the OAG in droves, 14 have left since Buckingham took office. Maybe it is time for AG Buckingham to step down. Perhaps he is so preoccupied defending himself, the governor and the Administration's political allies against ethics charges that he doesn't have time to do his job.