Rep. Gabby Giffords Returns to Vote

August 1, 2011













I am so disgusted with the U.S. Congress and the childish, partisan antics that have hurt so many Americans, that I hardly watch the news. In fact, I dropped all cable stations except for local stations and PBS so I don't have to listen to the talking heads who try to make sense of the nonsense that spills forth from Washington.

But tonight, for the first time in months, something good actually happened on Capitol Hill. Rep. Gabby Giffords returned to the House for the first time since she was shot in a violent attack in Arizona. She was greeted by thunderous applause from her colleagues, then she voted yes on the debt ceiling and left.

In a press statement she said:
I have closely followed the debate over our debt ceiling and have been deeply disappointed at what's going on in Washington.

I strongly believe that crossing the aisle for the good of the American people is more important than party politics. I had to be here for this vote. I could not take the chance that my absence could crash our economy.
It would be nice if so many others in Congress who seem to have forgotten why they were elected and who they are serving, had even a small amount of Rep. Giffords' courage and understanding of purpose.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great lady who is an inspiration. Best of luck Congresswoman!