Another Fitial Ally Arrested

June 27, 2014

Fitial ally, Rose Mondala, former Aging Office Director was arrested on corruption charges related to a 2009 Covenant Party campaign. Her charges include: theft; theft of services; forgery; use of office, staff or employee of public office; violating the restraints on use of public position to obtain benefits or social acquaintances; violating the restraints on use of public supplies, time and personnel for campaign activities; and misconduct in office. It was reported that she used Aging Office funds to support the campaign and to build a fence at her residence.

Numerous government officials were involved in the sketchy 2010 campaign that supported Covenant Party candidate Joseph Camacho, now Associate Judge Camacho, who was running for the U.S. House delegate seat. Although ex-Attorney General Edward Buckingham was charged and found guilty of 2010 campaign-related corruption charges, no charges have been made against other Fitial-appointed officials who were also involved in the controversial campaign. (See this post, Not Buying That This is Okay,  for a list of government employees who hosted Covenant Party events.) Also, implicated in election-related violations was ex-Deputy Commissioner of the Department of Public Safety, Ambrosio Ogumoro who also was never charged.

The corruption trial of ex-governor Benigno Fitial will continue next month. Last week three additional charges were added to the ten he already faces. The additional charges related to the questionable power plant contract that he penned with Saipan Development LLC, include misconduct in office, attempted violation of the Commonwealth Utilities Acts of 2008, and violation of the same 2008 CUC law.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arn't there Fed funds involved in that office?

Anonymous said...

All slap on the wrist. Not going to jail. Its like telling a baby "don't do it again."

Anonymous said...

they got some more gonno be arrested in gov. agency all the relative are sitting down in the office....

Anonymous said...

Ogumoro was my Senior Drill Instructor (SDI), Platoon 114, in 1994 at MCRD San Diego. The man depicted in these news stories and blogs are significantly different from the man I knew and served under. He was a very dedicated, passionate, and loyal U.S. Marine. He was a very intense and tough individual. He led firmly and fairly. I have no doubt that his tutalege saved the lives of future Marines. His leadership certainly pushed me to excel, as I have now been law enforcement officer in California for nearly two decades. And before anyone goes there, no, I'm not a corrupt official. I am endeared to my profession, will never betray my sworn oath, and am dedicated to my community I serve. And these values are not much different from the ones instilled me as a young Marine by SSGT Ogumuro. Keeping my personal feelings aside, as any good LEO would, I will remain open and not pass judgment on him until all of the facts are known. If he has not done any wrong doing, I hope his vindication will receive as much coverage as the allegations made against him. If he messed up, I hope he can regroup and regain his "military bearing," something he reminded me to never lose in life which I worked so hard to achieve under his command.

"Never quit. Never fail. Never die."
~SF